Zerodha – An Overview
Page Contents Table
Zerodha is one of the leading discount brokerage houses in India. The company was founded in 2010 by Nithin and Nikhil Kamath.
Zerodha coined its name from the Zero Brokerage facility, which they offer for all CNC (Cash and Carry) trades. Zerodha was the first company to introduce zero brokerage concepts for Indian traders and investors.
The brokerage house is known for its discount pricing model and cutting-edge technologies.
When talking about Zerodha technologies, we talk about its in-house developed trading platforms.
All these apps are available for free to download on both the Android Play Store and Apple iTunes Store.
- Zerodha Kite App
- Zerodha Coin App
- Zerodha Varsity App
- Zerodha Pulse App
- Zerodha Small Case App
Let’s understand all these apps in brief.
1 Zerodha Kite App
Zerodha Kite App is the trading platform, by which users can buy and sell stocks as well as commodities. It also facilitates the trading of Derivatives, i.e., Futures & Options.
- Kite is light-weight and is a swift trading tool available in the market. It consumes only 6.9 MB space on your phone’s memory.
- Kite comes with 11 different regional languages.
- Kite offers multiple watch lists up to five numbers so that you can follow your favorite stocks across different sectors and industries.
- Kite has a minimalistic, yet excellent looking user interface design. Beginners will find it easy to use.
- Kite also provides you a wide range of charts like Bars, Lines, Candlesticks, and Mountains. Over 100 types of technical indicators are also available.
- Kite has a 4.5-star user rating on Google Play Store.
2 Zerodha Coin App
Zerodha has a separate app for users who are interested in investing in Mutual Funds. Zerodha Coin App is a platform for where you get a curated list of top Mutual Funds.
They have classified them into different categories, such as Debt Funds, Equity Funds, Tax Saving Funds, and Index Funds, etc.
- Coin allows you to invest in direct mutual funds for free, without any commission charges.
- Feature for Systematic Investment Plan (SIP) is also available. You can increase or decrease SIP value according to your will.
- You get a single consolidated statement of P&L for all the funds you have invested.
- You can also take a loan against your pledged portfolio in case of an emergency.
- The coin has a user rating of 4.5 stars on the Google Play Store.
3 Zerodha Varsity App
Zerodha Varsity is an educational app where beginners can get essential learning about the stock market.
- Varsity has more than 100 lessons to study for beginners and advanced level traders.
- Chapters include the study of various topics, starting from Introduction to Stock Markets to Fundamental Analysis and Technical Analysis.
- Varsity also has lessons about Future and Options trading strategies.
- It includes an additional seven chapters for Markets and Taxation.
- Users have rated Varsity 4.3 stars on Play Store.
4 Zerodha Pulse App
Users can download Zerodha Pulse App, which keeps them updated with the latest news about the market. Pulse aggregates news from all primary sources of financial and market news in one place.
- Pulse offers you real-time news updates, to give you an edge over the others.
- It saves a lot of time by merging all vital information in one app.
- Pulse app comes with a file size of only 2.10 MB.
- Pulse gathers news from Money control, Economic Times, Business Standard, The Hindu Business, Reuters, etc.
- Pulse has 4.1 stars rating as per the Google Play Store.
5 Zerodha Small Case App
Zerodha Small Case is a basket of stocks that reflects an idea. It offers ready-made stock portfolios of mostly small-cap companies, and it also gives an option to customize the collection according to the requirements of a specific user.
- Zerodha Smallcase does not charge any monthly or annual management fee, unlike other mutual fund companies.
- Users are charged only when they either buy or sell.
- Using SmallCaps, users can lower their risk by investing in a diversified portfolio of stocks.
- SmallCase of Zerodha currently has 3.9 stars on Google Play Store rating.
Although Zerodha Mobile App comes with several amazing features, we have tried to cover the most essential and unique features of it.
Zerodha Brokerage Calculator App is also available on Zerodha’s official website. You can estimate the amount payable in the form of brokerage by using this calculator in advance.
For the customers who are more comfortable using a computer for trading, they have Zerodha Desktop App, which is known as Pi.
Customers will need to open a Demat account with Zerodha to use Kite, Coin, and SmallCase. However, Pulse and Zerodha Brokerage Calculator can be used by anyone without any prior signup.
Now let’s have a quick comparison of the pros and cons of the Zerodha Mobile Apps.
Zerodha App Pros & Cons
Kite Zerodha App comes handy with these benefits:
- Kite and all other apps of Zerodha are incredibly light-weight and fast.
- Zerodha offers a wide range of tools for Fundamental and Technical Analysis tools, suitable for beginner, intermediate, and advanced level traders.
- Users can also invest in Mutuals Funds with Zerodha, for which they have launched a separate app with the name Coin.
- Zerodha Coin App enables you to invest in Mutual Funds without any commission.
- Zerodha App also facilitates bracket orders, in case you don’t want to be sitting online during the market hours.
Although Kite is a great trading platform available in India, some of its users have also reported facing timely challenges while using various Zerodha Apps.
- Many times users have reported delay in order submission or order modification. It could be due to slow internet connectivity.
- Zerodha Brokerage Calculator App is not yet available on the mobile app.
- The payment gateway of Kite has also received much improvement feedbacks.
- Zerodha Kite App doesn’t allow it’s users to invest in Mutual Funds directly from Kite.
- Users don’t get all the variety under a single roof. Instead, you will have to download different apps for solving different purposes.
Kite Zerodha App is no doubt a very innovative, powerful, and fast tool available for traders in India.
On the one hand, its seamless design, smooth interface, and one-touch features make it highly user-friendly. However, on the other hand, it still has a lot of scope for improvement in terms of its connectivity.
No product in the world is perfect, but one thing is sure that when compared to its peers, Kite wins the race with a marginal difference.
One should also compare Kite with other parallel trading platforms and chose as per their particular requirements.
Zerodha App FAQ
Q. Which operating systems support the mobile Zerodha Trading App?
iOS and Android Operating systems support all Zerodha Mobile Apps.
Q. Is Zerodha free for users?
Yes, all the mobile apps offered by Zerodha are free for download from the Play Store. However, Zerodha may charge brokerage in the orders placed through any app.
Q. How much brokerage does Zerodha charge?
Zerodha charges zero rupees for CNC orders. The charges for other orders are 20 rupees or 0.01%, whichever is lower. For more details, you can check the Zerodha Brokerage Calculator App.
Q. Does Zerodha charge for canceled orders?
No Zerodha charge only for the executed orders.
Q. What is the minimum balance requirement?
You do not need to maintain any minimum balance in your Zerodha account to keep it active.