It is highly essential to understand the basic concept of SBI online account opening. SBI (State Bank of India) is one of the most prestigious and trusted banks in our country. Therefore, let us first gain some knowledge about the difference between a savings account and a Demat account.
SBI (State Bank of India) is one of the most prestigious and trusted banks in our country.
They have a widespread of branches across the entire county. SBI provides an extensive range of financial products which include SBI smart, SBI Demat account, loans, and SME banking, etc.
They also offer saving accounts which range from the basic ones to the premium accounts. SBI makes sure that they provide an account for everyone. The bank regales to many banking requirements.
It has easy and quick formalities which need to be fulfilled to avail of their services.
Savings account: In simple words when you deposit your money in a savings account, you get in just in return.
The bank, therefore, please you some money as interest on the money that you have put and left in the account. This money is later used by the bank to provide loans to other people.
A savings account is a good way to keep your money saved and earn extra as well.
SBI provides 2 online and 6 offline types of savings accounts.
(Know more via www.sbismart.com)
Demat accounts: When you want to trade online, a Demat Account holds your shares and securities in electronic format.
A Demat account helps you to convert your shares from a physical state to an electronic form. This way, their accessibility is increased. In our country, this account is maintained by two depository institutions.
They are national security depository and Central depository.SBI falls under the national security depository.
How to open an SBI account at a branch:
If you want to open an SBI savings account at any of the SBI bank branches, you are required to follow the steps which are mentioned below.
- Visit one of the closest SBI branches. It is recommended for you to visit a branch which is close to your house for easy processing quick transportation services.
- Request one of the bank managers or an executive for an SBI account opening form. This form is the first technical step to open your account.
- It would require some personal details and a few signatures of the person who wants to open the account.
- Once the account opening form is provided, applicants are required to fill two parts in the form. The first part of the form includes the name, signature, address, assets and various other details.
- The second part consists of some formalities which need to be filled by those customers who do not hold a PAN card.
- After filling the SBI account opening form, it is important to cross-check and make sure that all the fields have been filled correctly with utmost truth.
- Note that the details which you fill in the form should be similar to your KYC documents.
- After finally submitting the form, you will be required to pay a deposit of rupees thousand to open a bank account with SBI. This amount will be essential to create your savings account.
- Note that this is not a commission taken by the bank, it is just a deposit amount which will be added to your bank account balance.
- Once the bank completes the verification process from their side, the applicant will be given a free passbook and cheque book with the bank account number.
- If the applicant wishes to, he can apply for an internet banking form as well. This form will help the customer to avail of the SBI smart facilities.
The above mentioned six steps are highly essential if you want to open a savings account with the SBI branch. However, there are few added and modified steps you can open a savings account online as well.
Below mentioned are the steps which need to be performed to open new SBI savings account ONLINE.
- Visit the homepage of State Bank of India (SBI) which is www.onlinesbi.com
- From the vertical menu, select ‘apply for SBI/current account’
- A small drop-down menu will appear on your screen, click on ‘savings Bank account’
- A choice of ‘for resident individuals’ or ‘for NRE/NRO’ will appear on your screen once you choose the option of a savings bank account. You are required to choose one of the following.
- A drop down of three types of savings account will appear. They will include Salary Account, Savings Bank Account and Small SB account.
- Once you have selected the type of savings account you would wish to create, a form will be displayed on your screen.
- Fill in the details asked through the form. They will include name, address, DOB and other personal details.
- Once your form is filled, click on the submit button.
- Once your form is accepted, the bank will ask the applicant to visit the closest branch with KYC documents. These documents include proof of identity, DOB and address.
- After you have submitted the documents, SBI will initiate the verification process.
- Once your verification is completed, your account will be created within 3 to 5 working days of the bank.
To fulfill all the formalities, it is important to have the correct documents. Further mentioned is a list of the documents which are required to create a savings account with SBI.
- Identity proof- passport, voters ID card, driving license, etc
- Address proof- driving license, voters ID, passport, etc
- Pan card (If the applicant does not have a Pan card, he needs to fill in a separate form)
- Two passport size photographs of the applicant. The eyes nose and ears should be visible in the respective photographs
Earlier in this article, we mentioned about Demat account. Now let us learn about the steps and the procedure on how to open a Demat account in State Bank of India.
How to open a Demat account in SBI?
SBI Online Account Opening Process – There are two easy ways in which you can open a Demat account in SBI. They are as following:
- Opening a Demat account by visiting a local SBI branch.
- Opening and Demat account by filling the online application available on the SBI online website.
Method one – Offline: This includes visiting a nearby SBI branch. This method is effective however it gets a little tiresome if the local branch is not very close. Once you visit a local branch, you are required to enquire for a form.
You need to carry certain documents with you so that the process is easier and quicker. Once you have submitted the form and have received approval, your account will be opened with 5-7 working days.
Method Two – Online: You are required to follow a few steps to get your Demat account open.
Here they are:
- Visit www.sbismart.com and click on the contact us button.
- Fill in the contact form/call on the toll-free number to give your details. Personal details like address, phone number, name, date of birth can be asked.
- You would receive a call within two working days by the local branch manager of SBI.
Note: If you want to open a Demat account with SBI, it is not necessary to open new savings account too. You can easily link your old savings account with your Demat
In both methods, you would receive a call from the relationship manager. He might request you to meet him at your address with other documentation.
Mostly these managers agree to visit your desired location however sometimes they might emphasize to visit the address mentioned in your documents.
When you meet your local bank manager, you are required to have a photocopy of your Aadhaar card, PAN card, and a passport size photograph.
After you have submitted the opening account form, your account will be created within 15 working days. You will receive an mail from SBI smart which will consist of your username and password to activate the account.
It will also include some guidelines on how to start investing / trading with SBI.
Once you have received your login credentials, you can also start trading.
To do so you need to visit the SBI smart website, select the trade logging which will appear in the down menu of ‘login’. You are required to enter your credentials and you can start trading.
Documents required to SBI Online Account Opening:
- Pan card of the applicant.
- Aadhaar card for the address proof.
- Passbook of the existing SBI savings account (optional).
- A passport size photograph for the applicant. Eyes, ears, and mouth should be clearly visible.
There are certain charges which the bank takes when you want to open an SBI Demat account. Below mentioned is the breakup and the total amount which is considered to be the fees of SBI.
SBI Demat account Charges:
To find out the charges, follow the steps:
- Visit the homepage of SBIcap securities (www.sbismart.com).
- Click on the ‘customer service’ button.
- Scroll down to ‘quick access’ (positioned at the right side).
- Choose the second option which reads as ‘charges’.
- A white box will appear on your screen, choose the third option from the drop-down menu which says ‘account opening and brokerage charges’.
As a result of the above-mentioned steps, your screen will now display a small table that will help you understand the charges and taxes that SBI asks for.
There is a different set of charges which SBI acquires if you want to open a Demat account. Below mentioned is a breakup of the charges.
Charges for opening a Demat account with SBI:
- There are many plans which SBI offers while opening a Demat account. However, most of the time, Customers are inclined towards the basic plan.
- The basic plan consists of a fee plus GST.
- The fees amount to Rs 850 (Eight hundred and fifty rupees only)
- The rate of GST is 18%.
- 18% of 850 amounts to 153. Therefore, the total amount which is required to open a Demat account with SBI is Rs.1003 (850+153)
- This amount is directed deducted from your SBI savings account.
The above nations amount are the fees that SBI charges only for opening an account. However, you can buy stocks using a Demat account.
How to buy stocks using an SBI Demat account:
- Search SBI on your search bar. Click on the homepage. Once the SBIcap security page opens, click on the green box positioned on the right side of your screen which reads ‘login’. A drop-down menu will appear on your screen, select ‘trade login’
- A small box will appear on your screen. You would be asked to fill in your client code, password, and PAN number. These details will be sent to you via mail.
- In case this is your first time, SBI will generate an OTP with the client more. Therefore, you will be asked to change your password after entering the one-time password (OTP)
- After you have logged in, you will notice that the menu positioned on the top will appear on your screen. This menu will consist of ‘dashboard/trade/market/tool/ research/customer services.
- Once you click on the trade option, your screen would open to an ‘order entry page’.
- You will be asked to transfer some amount to your Demat account. To do so, you need to click on the trade page.
- You will find an option that reads as ‘limits. Once you click on that, you have to click on ‘manage’ which falls under ‘client level’.
- A ‘fund lien’ option will appear on your screen once you select the ‘manage’ button
Note: A ‘fund unlien’ option is also mentioned right below the ‘fun lien’ bar. The ‘fund unlien’ is used when you transfer extra money. In other words, if you transfer more money than required, you can use this option to receive the money-back.
- After selecting the ‘fund lien’, it will direct you to your payment options. Here you will be required to enter the amount you want. Therefore, you will have to enter the amount in the ‘amount in figure’ and then click on ‘lien’. This will complete your process of transferring the money to a Demat account.
- Once your funds are transferred, you will have to go back to the ‘trade’ option on the homepage. Then click on ‘order entry’. This time a different menu will appear on your screen.
- In the new drop-down menu, you must select ‘equity’ which is positioned on the top left of your screen. After you have done that, click on the ‘stock exchange’ button. A drop-down menu consisting of NSE (national) Ans BSE (Bombay) will appear on your screen. You can select any one of them depending on your preference.
- Now you are required to enter the name of the stock and then click on the ‘Go’ button.
- A marketplace of the stocks will be displayed on your screen. It will include ‘bid’ and ‘ask’. You are advised to read the instructions and notice all the prices before selecting the type of stock you wish to buy.
- After selecting the stock, click on ‘order type’. You will have to choose between the ‘Market’ and ‘limit’.
- Once your order type is selected, you will be asked to fill in the quantity.
- As a final step, you have to click on the ‘Buy’ button and select ‘confirm’ which is positioned on the bottom right side of your screen.
Following the above- mentioned steps, you will successfully place your order for the stocks you wish to buy.
Note: You can cross-check your details but visiting ‘order book’ which will be present on the same page.
It is highly essential to keep in mind certain facts before you decide to invest in the share market or by stocks. Below mentioned is a list of few financial ratio analysis which might help you.
- EPS (Earnings per share)
- P/E (Price to earnings ratio)
- P/B (Price to book ratio)
- P/S (Price to smaller ratio)
- DER (Debt to equity ratio)
- ROE (return on equity)
- CR ( current ratio)
- DY (Dividend Yield)
It is always advised to go through the above-mentioned ratios before investing in the stock market.
Below mentioned is a list of common questions that might occur to you while opening a Demat or a savings account with SBI.
How to link your Demat account with your savings account?
In the beginning, while opening your Demat account, you will be asked about your savings account details by the bank manager. Then he will provide you with a link. That link will help you connect your savings account using SBIsmart.
Do we need to pay a minimum amount for the Demat account?
You are required to pay the opening charges. If you choose the basic plan, you will have to pay Rs.1003. Apart from this, you also have to pay AMC that is an annual maintenance charge for your account. If the above-mentioned charges are clear, you do not need to pay extra as a deposit.
Is it essential to visit SBI to open an account?
No, you can open an account online by visiting SBIsmart.
We hope that this article was informative and helpful. It is your turn now; let us know about your experience while opening an account of happiness. In case you have further doubts, our expert team is always at your service. All you need to do is leave a comment below.
Stockquantum was founded by Dharmendra Mukati in 2018. I am a Trader and Investor in the last 10 years.
I am writing here about stock broker review, broker comparison, IPO investment, Crypto currencies, technical analysis, fundamental analysis, sub brokership, mutual fund, personal finance, and our experiences.